Risen by Cole Gibsen


Thank you to Netgalley and Entangled Teen for a copy of the eARC in exchange for a fair review.

Charlie lives with her Aunt and everything is fine until one day when her dog Jax acts weird as they walk home, and when Charlie tells her Aunt about it all she starts to worry. Aunt Rachel says the monster are coming for her, and that Charlie should be fine as long as they think she is her niece.

Before too long, they hear the sounds of a vehicle on their driveway and Charlie knows something is wrong. Soon their house is invaded by vampires and Aunt Rachel is taken. They leave Charlie with Sebastian. He is supposed to kill her, but he is more worried about finding some kind of proof about Aunt Rachel's dead son.

He plans on taking Charlie to the Anima clan. But something about Charlie resonates within him and he starts remembering parts of his life before he was turned. Sebastian knows that he is signing his own death warrant by helping her, but he can't help himself.

After they are taking by vampire hunters and then freed when Corpus clan attacks the hunters, they are joined by Opal the only surviving hunter. They set off to Anima clan and the truth about Charlie.

This was a good start to a series, although I don't think it answered some of the more burning questions, but since it is a first book that doesn't necessarily have to happen. I must admit I normally avoid Vampire books, as I am burned out on the genre, but despite those feelings I really enjoyed this book, and I need answers and I will need book 2.  I found the origin story and the clans interesting and different. I am also really intrigued to see where Cole takes this series.

I love the dynamic between Opal, Sebastian and Charlie. I like how they really connected despite all of their differences. I hope the next book answers some of my questions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Chloe Neill Day!!!

That Darkness by Lisa Black