If you go down to the woods by Seth C. Adams

Thank you to Killer Reads and Netgalley for a copy of the eARC in exchange for a fair review.

Joey has just moved to Arizona, and while out taking a walk with his German Shepard Bandit he comes across three teenagers tormenting a boy in the creek. Joey decides to stand up for him and starts a whole chain of events.

He and Bobby soon become friends with Tara and Jim, also outcasts. When the group has another altercation with the teenagers they make the decision to tell their parents. Once the parents are involved the call the police. Only it turns out that one of the teenagers is the son of the Sheriff. The Sheriff makes a call on the house to threaten them and is humiliated by Joey's parents.

Later the Sheriff attacks Bobby and Joey, and they are saved by Tara and Jim. They decide to call themselves the Outsiders club, but when they discover what is hidden in an abandoned car it will change their lives forever.

I don't even know what happened or how I feel. Maybe those are the wrong choices of words, but it was like one decision spiraled into another and another and it was so out of control. Like Murphy's Law was in full effect. I picked this book, because the title and the cover I didn't read the synopsis at all. So I was surprised that the Joey was so young, and he really alternated between acting like a teenage boy, and being grown up so it threw me more than once every time I remembered he was young.

I was I think disappointed in the ending, and I feel like some of that was just too much. I also wonder what year it was set it because it seemed so 30 years ago, but then again small towns can be very behind the times.  On the other hand I couldn't stop reading it. Like watching a train wreck fascinated until the end. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Chloe Neill Day!!!

That Darkness by Lisa Black