Daughter of Carthage, Son of Rome by Kate Q. Johnson

Daughter of Carthage, Son of RomeDaughter of Carthage, Son of Rome by Kate Q. Johnson
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Daughter of Carthage, Son of Rome by Kate Q. Johnson is a wonderfully addictive Historical Fiction Romance. The story takes place during the second Punic Wars 216 BC. Her descriptions of Carthage, Vetulonium, Rome and even the Numidians is so vivid you feel like you could reach out and touch these people and places. Run your hands along the ancient wall of Carthage, smell that stink of the harbor and ride astride the wildly pounding hooves of the Numidian horses.
Let me tell you how much I loved this book. The battle scenes are so amazing I was literally rocking myself back and forth praying Elissa and Marcus made it through the battles! The historical accuracy of Hannibal’s military movements during these historic battles was hands down the best part of these battle scenes! If you love military history, you are going to absolutely lose your mind over this book it’s that good! My heart is racing just remembering those scenes, I’m 100% reading this book again and again and again!
The main heroine Elissa is 18-year-old, and she is a handful. I both loved her and was beyond frustrated with her. Every decision she made was a bad one. I mean in every sense except one. Her decision to stay with Marcus Gracchus and even that she couldn’t do right at first. There were many times I had to remind myself that she’s 18, an aristocratic, and that makes her both sheltered and ignorant of the world at large. It is these elements that combined to lead her to make bad decision after bad decision on her journey. I would caution you readers to be patient with her and be kind none of us were making good decision at 18 and we weren’t running from an arranged marriage to a physically revolting noble.
Then there’s Marcus Gracchus. You’ve been reading my book reviews long enough to know how much I adore the darker shade of male lead and Marcus, swoon, from his very first introduction I was on board!!! I mean read this introduction.
“And which cold bastard might you be referring?” he responded icily-except that his lips weren’t moving.
Dread crept up the first guard’s spine. He turned slowly in the direction of the voice, already knowing whom he’d see. Even though he was prepared, he jolted when he saw Centurion Marcus Gracchus standing behind him. The centurion held his hands loosely at his sides and regarded him with cold disinterest. Gracchus wore full armor despite not being on guard duty, and carried a javelin. –Daughter of Carthiage Son of Rome, by Kate Q. Johnson
Ugh-break me off a piece of that Roman Centurion! Marcus Gracchus is everything you’d expect a Roman Centurion to be. He’s battle hardened, loyal to his men, and disenfranchised with Rome as a whole but he doesn’t waver from his duty. He’s all tough armored outer shell. Smooshy soft marshmallow on the inside and he’s absolutely perfect as a male lead to Elissa.
I gave the book four stars because, sadly, there are few editorial issues nothing that detracts from the story as a whole but it did jolt me out of the story when I ran across them. They aren’t plentiful and you could just easily ignore them. In every other way this book was an absolute delight to read. Elissa and Marcus’s story is an edge of your seat, nail biting, swoon worthy historical romance and I can not recommend it enough!

I received an advance review copy for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.

View all my reviews

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Chloe Neill Day!!!

Graveyard Shift misses the mark.