Introducing Roxanne April's guest book reviewer!

The Queen of Someday by Sherry D. Ficklin
When I first saw this book, I admit I didn't read the description I was totally sucked in by the cover! So I put it on my wishlist and eventually purchased it not really knowing what it was about. When I started reading it some things seemed familiar but I couldn't quite figure it out. More than a few things started resonating in my head. I put the book down and went to look up the book! Once I read the blurb I totally understood what was familiar about it. I am a history major so I do enjoy historical fictions! I was originally thinking this book was a fantasy but when I made the connection between Princess Sophie and Catherine the Great it was clear this wasn't a fantasy but historical fiction!
So of course I am doing you the favor of making the connection before you read if you are like me and a sucker for a beautiful cover! Now that is out of the way, this book is great! I am not the most knowledgeable when it comes to Catherine the Great, but I do know she took power from her husband and became one of the best rulers of Russia. It is also important to note she was not Russian at all! This book is set in the beginning when she is still Princess Sophie and very much trying to win the heart and hand of a young Peter. It’s a journey of self-discovery and love just not with who you think. This is a beautifully written book and no major flaws with the history that I could see. I really connected with Sophie and was rooting for her to survive and thrive.

Since this is a historical fiction we know she will but that doesn't stop you from being worried and reading each page as fast you can. That my friend is what makes this great and why you should read this book now if you haven’t. The history is on it, the love story is fantastic, the female main character is a total badass and male characters are delightfully bad, good and exciting! The only thing that made me sad was that I could not immediately go out and buy book 2. But I am waiting patiently or impatiently for the Queen of Tomorrow!
If you liked Roxanne's review of Queen of Someday you can check out her other book reviews at Dark Fairytales http://darkfaerietales.com where she will be a regular reviewer by the end of May. In the meantime you can connect with her at:
@roxanne_dft on Twitter
or through email at Roxanne_dft@gmail.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Chloe Neill Day!!!

Graveyard Shift misses the mark.