Review of Gilded Cage by Vic James

Review of Gilded Cage by Vic James

Thank you to Netgalley and Del Ray for a copy of the eARC in exchange for a fair review.

This is an alternative reality, in this world, there are Equals (Peers or Lords) with skills (magic) and commoners. Every commoner must serve 10 years as a slave. It is told from several points of views the most predominant ones are from the Hadley's (commoners) and Jardine's (Equals).

 Abi is a Hadley and she and her parents have arranged for them to enter service all together as a family at the Jardine's estate. However, when they are set to leave they find that Luke (her brother) is not going with them despite the law against children under 18 serving away from their parents. He is being sent to a slavetown Millmoor.

As Abi and the rest of her family arrive at Jardine's estate, they find that Daisy is to be taking care of the young daughter of Garvar (the Heir) and soon they forge a friendship based on the love he has for his daughter despite the fact that he isn't really a good person.

Abi begins to learn more and more things about skills and the family while they are there. While Luke struggles to find his place at Millmoor. He soon becomes involved with a group that is working to provide the most basic needs to the slaves and helps escape or protect them from the law.

I could say so much more but spoilers so first let me say I couldn't stop reading this book despite my one complaint. So many points of views, and at 40% into the book I was still being introduced to new points of view. I will say it does work, and it isn't too confusing. This series is definitely going to be interesting and I can't wait to see where book 2 goes with it all.

I am not sure what the goal was or the point, weird I know but there were multiple things going on during the book. The biggest and easiest to see is the class warfare and the slavery issue. Those are some of the major points of the novel, however, we are introduced to several characters that seem to be background but are involved in major happenings that don't have to do with the larger issues at hand. This is a multilayered story with a lot going on. I am still working through my feelings as you can see. I just finished this, but I already feel like I need to reread it because I know I missed something important. As far as I am concerned this was a fantastic book, with an interesting and different premise, wonderful worldbuilding, and with so many layers. I am so excited to read the next one in the series. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Chloe Neill Day!!!

Graveyard Shift misses the mark.