Review of Almost Missed You by Jessica Strawser

Almost Missed You by Jessica Stawser

Thank you to St.Martin's Press and Netgalley for a copy of this eARC in exchange for a fair review.

Violet is on vacation with her husband Finn and their son Bear, Finn takes Bear back into the hotel for a nap living Violet to enjoy herself on the beach for a bit on her own. This leads her to reflect how they met all those years ago on this very beach.

However, when she returns to the room it is like she is on the vacation alone. All of her husband's stuff and their son's stuff is gone. He is just gone, and Violet sinks into a bitter depression. Caitlin's has just returned from visiting Violet when Finn shows up on her doorstep. He threatens her into helping him hide with Bear while he figures things out.

 As the past unfolds and the present collides will Violet finally figure out what her husband is hiding? Will she be reunited with her son?

I want to rant about a couple of things, well at least one because spoilers. I will say this I am still pondering that ending and how to feel about it. I am going to say this I am not sure I loved how we were supposed to feel about Finn, I really don't. I am not going to spoil this, but I don't find him a sympathetic character at all. I know as we learn everything we are supposed to feel sorry for him. I really didn't at all. I think that contributes to my feelings about the end.

That being said I loved Violet and Caitlin, they struggled to do the right thing and to come clean and I wish the state of their friendship had been resolved a bit better in the book. This fell a little flat on the thriller aspect, possibly even the mystery. It was a darn good story, I could not stop reading it, even when I felt a little angry or frustrated I could not stop reading.  A fantastic job on a debut novel!  Bear broke my heart and I really just wanted to shot Finn, sigh I am sure others will feel differently than I do, but as a mother who loves her kids, I couldn't muster anything beyond disgust and contempt for him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Chloe Neill Day!!!

Graveyard Shift misses the mark.