Review of 99 Red Ballons by Elisabeth Carpenter

99 Red Ballons by Elisabeth Carpenter

Thank you to Avon and Netgalley for a copy of the eARC in exchange for a fair review.

This book is told with several different viewpoints, and an unnamed man, unnamed girl, Stephanie, and Maggie.  The unnamed is a kidnapper, the unnamed girl has been kidnapped and Stephanie is the Aunt of a young girl that has just been kidnapped, and Maggie is the grandmother of young girl Zoe who was kidnapped in the 80s.

The story opens with the unnamed girl meeting a man outside a sweet shop and how he convinces her to go with him. It then switches to Stephanie who has just learned that her niece Grace has been kidnapped after walking home from school. Almost immediately you start to learn that Stephanie and her family have secrets.

Maggie begins to receive calls and flowers from an unknown person who tells her they have a surprise for her, but mainly she is shocked Grace has been kidnapped in the same manner as her granddaughter Zoe.

I can't tell you much more than that because it will spoil the story for you. I will say that I was a bit confused at first as to the alternative perspectives and who was who. For a longer time, I didn't understand why Stephanie had a part in this story, but I will say that this was engrossing and I was unable to put it down.

I had to know what was going to happen, and I was completely shocked when it was finally revealed who the unknown people were in those chapters. I guessed wrong several times as to who and how people fit into the story. I also must admit that I loved the inclusion of 99 Red Ballon, that is one of my favorite 80s songs and I love to hear it in German.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Chloe Neill Day!!!

Graveyard Shift misses the mark.