Review: The Walls by Hollie Overton

The Walls by Hollie Overton

Thanks to Netgalley and Redhook for a copy of the eARC in exchange for a fair review.

Kristy is a public relations officer for the prison and she is doing the best she can do until one day her son gets in trouble at school and she finds that he has been taking martial arts classes behind her back. When she confronts his teacher Lance, it ends up in a friendship that changes her life.

Soon he becomes a huge part of her life, and when she kisses him and then backtracks he disappears and when they finally have a talk she decides that she can't live without him. Meanwhile, Kristy finds herself developing a friendship with an inmate on death row. As she gets to know him she is convinced that he didn't kill his kids.

Kristy and Lance get married and then everything changes, first, it is just a pinch or a bit of a temper and soon he is hitting her. But what can she do everyone is convinced that he is a wonderful man, but she soon finds that he isn't everything he claimed to be. Kristy is soon faced with impossible choices as the walls close in around her, can she do what she needs to do?

I am still not quite sure how I feel about this book, because it causes me moral dilemna's, on the one hand, I totally get where the author is coming from and it is interesting... On the other hand, it glorifies and justifies something I just can't get on board. Plus the I loved the death row aspect and I thought it was going to have more to do with the story instead it was kind of a filler even though it did touch on the execution of an innocent man, but it really didn't do anything to shine the light or really address that issue.

I liked Kristy, and I just don't know that only person who notices that she changes is an inmate at the prison. I mean I get that the guy is charismatic and wonderful, but other people know he isn't soo I guess in some aspect it felt like a sudden change and a stretch for me. That's is about as much as I am going to spoil this, I did read it all in one sitting and I really enjoyed it even if I haven't worked out how I feel about it now. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Chloe Neill Day!!!

Graveyard Shift misses the mark.