The Girl I used to be by Mary Torjussen


Thank you to Berkley and Netgalley for a copy of the eARC in exchange for a fair review.

Gemma is successful real estate agent with her own company. She is married with a young son, and is feeling the pangs of the housing market and her husband staying at home to raise their son. She heads off to London for a few days to attend a conference. She is surprised when she runs into David a potential client.

She agrees to meet him for dinner and after too many glasses of wine she is feeling more than a little drunk. But when she wakes up in the morning she can't remember anything past the kiss at her hotel door. She puts it out of her mind and really doesn't think anything of it, until the receipt from the restaurant is mailed to her. Even then it all easy to dismiss until the picture arrives, and the instagram messages.

She hasn't said a word to Joe, but now she afraid of what happened or what she can't remember and all the lies she has told him. She decides to go to the police with what has happened so far especially since she has discovered that David isn't who he says he is. Little does she know that her past is coming back to haunt her.

I always feel like I don't say enough about what is going on in the book, and sometimes I worry I have said too much. It is always a fine line especially with thrillers or mysteries. Because the twists are everything and you can say too much and spoil the book. Initially, I had no idea where it was all going or what the past had to do with any of it.

Mary delivered it all masterfully, some of it became clearer once some things were revealed, but I was on the edge of my seat rooting for her the whole time. I am really becoming a fan of Mary, this is my second book by her and I can safely say that she becoming a go to author for me. I will have to add her to my automatic buy or read list. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Chloe Neill Day!!!

Graveyard Shift misses the mark.