Obscura by Joe Hart


Thank you to Netgalley and Thomas & Mercer for a copy of the eARC in exchange for a fair review.

Gillian Ryan has been working on a cure for Losian's since her husband was diagnosed with it. She has been running out of funding and time since her daughter was diagnosed as well. Losian's is new aggressive form of dementia. Once her funding runs, she surprised by a visit from an old boyfriend.

Carson is offering the chance of the lifetime for Gillian. She has a chance to go to space and study people who are affected by similar symptoms as Losian's. The difference is no one is for sure what is causing their symptoms except that they were all using a teleportation device.

But, Gillian has a bit of a secret too, since her daughter was diagnosed she has slipped back into her addiction.  She secretly hopes this trip will help her get clean, but shortly after they leave she finds out that she was lied too, and they aren't going to a nearby space station. They are on there way to Mars, and Gillian isn't happy.

I would get into more but spoilers. I have to say this isn't what I was expecting. I didn't actually read the whole synopsis so I was expecting a mystery and I did get that, but I also got a fantastic space read. It reminded me of some movies or movie that I have seen (the names are eluding me at the moment) where the narrator is unreliable or maybe something crazy is going on. So you don't know what is going, who is crazy, and all in the setting of space which just seems to fit that situation so well that they are made for each other.

This might not have been the thriller I was expecting but it was science fiction done right. I am weird about my science fiction. It is very hit or miss for me, sometimes I love certain things and I will hate something else. This appealed to everything I love a dark mystery, space, crazy, violence, and one woman desperately trying to figure it all out or is she just crazy?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Chloe Neill Day!!!

Review: The Dusk Gate Chronicles Boxed Set, Books 1-4