The Queen Underneath by Stacey Filak

Thank you to Page Street Books for a copy of the ARC in exchange for a fair review.

Gemma is going to meet the King Above and she is baring bad news, but she is even more shocked when Prince Tollan meets her and informs her that he is the new King Above, and he is taken aback when she informs him that she is the new Queen Below.

However, they both know something is wrong when they compare the way the King and Queen died and it was similar and when Prince Tollan falls ill, Gemma begins to suspect the mage women are behind all of this.

As she works with Tollan and others to figure out what is going on the conspiracy deepens even further. When she barely survives an assassination attempt she knows that time is running out.

I have to say this rather short compared to most fantasy type books. However, it was interesting with a lot of good concepts. I think it would have been amazing if this more than a standalone or if it had been fleshed out a tad more as a standalone. I felt like I was just hitting the surface and didn't get deep enough.

I am not sure I had a chance to connect or care about any of the characters or their relationships. Which is a shame because several of them were really interesting and I wanted to care. Overall for a debut novel it is good book and I look forward to seeing what else this author comes up with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Chloe Neill Day!!!

Graveyard Shift misses the mark.