Rust & Stardust by T. Greenwood

Thank you to St.Martin's Press and Netgalley for a copy of the eARC in exchange for a fair review..

Disclaimer this book is based on real events, continues sexual abuse and other violence.

Second Disclaimer I am very sad to say that I had no idea who Sally Horner was before reading this book... Also the ending reminds me very much of I know my first name is Steven.... Heartbreaking.

Sally is finishing up 5th grade when her new friends dare her to steal something from Woolworth's. The year is 1948 and when Sally is caught by a man who claims to be with the FBI she doesn't know any better so she doesn't say a word. When he tells her he has to take her away to jail for a short time she gets her mom to give her permission to go with a friend to the shore.

It is only after being gone nearly a month that her mother and sister put together that something is really wrong. Once the police are involved they soon find out that Mr.Warner isn't really Mr.Warner but Frank LaSalle a convicted child rapist. Who had also kidnapped and married another young girl.

Somehow, Frank stays one step ahead of the police moving across county with Sally.

I was so angry reading this, and I cried at the end. I am not going to ruin it, but if you are familiar with the case then you will already know how it ends. I mean I have no words, I can't express myself. I don't want to say I loved this book because it was so dark. I love dark books but I am often cushioned by the knowledge that it is all fake. A good portion of this is fiction, but the main characters (some of them) are real and that made it hit home.

I will say this, this book is important and the takeaway is something beautiful to remember a brave little girl who endured and came through so much and still tried to shine.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Chloe Neill Day!!!

Graveyard Shift misses the mark.