After the Fire by Will Hill

Thanks to Sourcebooks and Netgalley for a copy of the eARC in exchange for a fair review.

I am going to keep this vague because I think it adds to the story so I won't use the main character name.

She awakes in the hospital, she knows there was a fire, she tried to get the children out, and she had to rely on the government to help her. She isn't sure who to trust because Father John always said that they Outsiders lie, but she knows that he lied too so maybe she could tell them some of the things.

As she begins to trust the doctor and the agent working with her, she begins to open up, and they let her see the other kids and that helps her. She enjoys being able to help the others, and she knows that the road they are on is hard and long.

I really want to say more about this book, I hate to be super vague, but one of the things that hooked me was it took a couple of chapters before she would even tell them her name. This is a book that will draw you in and keep you reading. Maybe because I have been listening to a podcast called Cults is part of why I was intrigued from the first page. But it was powerful and moving and real. Not all cults are destructive, but we all know there are plenty out there that are extremely destructive. Which is why reading about them and listening to things about them is so fascinating.

We know this a work of fiction, but given all the mystery shrouding cults and the practices that we hear about when a cult makes the news it almost feels like you are reading non-fiction. I could not put this down.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Chloe Neill Day!!!

That Darkness by Lisa Black