The Girls at 17 Swann Street by Yara Zgheib

Thank you St. Martin's Press and Netgalley for a copy of the eARC in exchange for a fair review.

First this book is not yet released, you can pre-order on Amazon or wherever you get books from. It will be released Feb 5, 2019.

Second I fully admit this would not be a book I would normally seek or pick out to read. Usually my book clubs get me out of my wheelhouse, but this time I was emailed with per-approval for the ARC. So I thought why not. I didn't bother to look at the synopsis or even glance at what it would be about.

Anna has just been admitted to 17 Swann Street, she has anorexia, recently she has started passing out as her weight has dropped to a dangerous level. She does not want to be there, but her husband has made her. All of her family is concerned about the weight loss since they moved to America. Anna isn't be honest about her eating or what has got her here.

As she begins to get to know the other women at 17 Swann Street, Anna has to start confronting her choices and begin considering does she actually want to recover or will this kill her. Along the way the friends she made will make their choices as well and some of those will profoundly affect her.

Normally I am vague because it is a mystery and too many clues will give things away, in this case this is a book you should read and immerse yourself in. It isn't a fun book, and it brought me to tears several times. This a deep dive into the head of a young woman who is anorexic and all of the little things that led her down a path that almost killed her. It is very heartbreaking and realistic. I read it all in one sitting. I couldn't put it down even though I didn't always like the writing style. It also strikes at the core of something all women can relate too whether they eat the way they should or if they are struggling with less than healthy choices. I related so much on her thoughts about body issues and it was worse for her as a dancer, because those thoughts were reinforced by people around her initially setting the groundwork  for what was to come later.

Even if this isn't something you would normally read I think you should read it anyway!  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Chloe Neill Day!!!

Graveyard Shift misses the mark.