We Were Killers Once by Becky Masterman

Thank you to Minotaur Books and Netgalley for a copy of the eARC in exchange for a fair review.

Disclaimer this is Book 4 in the Brigid Quinn series.

This is a total What if book? It is based on two real killings the Cutter family made famous the book In Cold Blood and the Walker killed just two months later in Florida. Of course we all know that the Cutter murders were solved or were they?

Brigid is blissfully unaware that in Carlo's days as a priest he was a chaplain at a prison and he has something in his possession that someone wants to ensure remains not found. When the new neighbor moves in Brigid's spidey sense tingles, but she thinks he is after her. She begins to investigate him, and the old murders both the solved and unsolved one.

Soon Brigid stumbles on to the possibility of a third person who was there when the Cutter's were murdered and that person might just be responsible for what happened to the Walkers. Can she find out who he really is and what really happened before it is too late?

I have read the first book in this series, and currently have the second one checked out to read so I was stumped that I had to review this before I caught up on the series. However, that being said I found that I was able to read this without being lost. I was super intrigued by the What if investigation into real life murders. Initially I was thrown off by the other point of view, but when I realized who it was I put aside all misgivings and settled down for a good afternoon read. 

Brigid isn't your normal main character, she is an older woman, and she used to be the FBI. She was moved to Florida after some things went wrong and she retired after deciding that she really didn't like her new boss. Her marriage to Carlo is her first and his second. So their relationship is interesting. I am excited to read the two books in the middle and find out if I missed anything in between the 1st and 4th book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Chloe Neill Day!!!

That Darkness by Lisa Black