Trace of Evil by Alice Blanchard

Thank you to Netgalley and Minotaur Books for a copy of the eARC in exchange for a fair review.

Natalie is a small town cop just like her father. Her oldest sister was tragically murdered when Natalie was just ten, but they know who did it so they have just dealt with the loss all these years. However, when Daisy is murdered. Natalie begins to wonder what is going on in her small town. Added to that is the cold case files she has that she has nicknamed the Missing Nine.

As Natalie digs into Daisy's life, she begins to undercover all kinds of secrets. Making her wonder if Daisy was murdered by her cop husband or if she had a jealous lover. Plus with the town history being steeped in witchcraft there is a lot she has to face as she begins to undercover all the dark secrets.

This is the first book in a new series, it had a lot going on. A new murder, an old murder, plus several old missing persons cases. Following all the threads really requires you to pay attention and I am not afraid to admit that I missed some clues to some of them, but it didn't take away from my enjoyment of reading this either. I was really shocked when Daisy's murderer was uncovered and by some other revelations as well.

Not going to lie I had a couple of moments where I really couldn't wrap my head around some of the characters. Not that it wasn't believable, but that the motivation was just something I could not relate to at all. So it made me really annoyed with some of the characters and not all that unhappy at some of the revelations. On the other hand, I felt that some of Natalie's feeling about some of these revelations was kind of glossed over or just not dealt with it.

I know that is all super vague, but I hate spoilers and I probably have raised many suspicions with some of the things I have been alluding too. I really want to see where the author is going to go with this series. I like Natalie and I can't to see what finds her next. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It's Chloe Neill Day!!!

That Darkness by Lisa Black